top of page

How to Convert Military Pilot License to FAA License

Updated: Mar 15, 2018

For our military pilots:

A U.S. military pilot or former U.S. military pilot may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an airline transport pilot certificate concurrently with an airplane type rating with a minimum of 750 hours of total time as a pilot if the pilot presents:

1) An official Form DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) indicating that the person was honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or an official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the pilot is currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces; and

2) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person graduated from a U.S. Armed Forces undergraduate pilot training school and received a rating qualification as a military pilot.

If you currently do not have an FAA license and want to make an easy transition to FAA ATP license, please refer to Regulation 61.73 14 CFR 61.73 - Military pilots or former military pilots: Special rules.

This regulation will provide the answer to achieving a commercial pilot license/IR/type rating.  It will require a military competency aeronautical knowledge test which is relatively easy and can be accomplished at any local FSDO. Do make sure that you get the type rating of your training aircraft on your FAA commercial certificate (e.g. BE-400, MU-300).  This rating will automatically move up to your FAA ATP license and will make K&S enrollment easier.

In order to receive the ATP practical free with the type rating which K&S Aviation provides, the pilot will need to present:

- FAA license

-ATP-CTP Certificate

-ATP written results

Veterans Administration/Post 9/11 GI Bill

Please note that K&S Aviation Services is approved by the VA for initial type ratings with ATP on B-737NG.

VA Code for training in Seattle, WA

(B-737): 2-5-4783-47

An FAA First Class Medical will be a requirement for the Veterans Administration.

Below is the link to the FAA website for military pilots:

For more information on how military pilots can transition to a commercial FAA license, please call us at: (480)398-1260 or fill in our contact form.


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page