Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long does the type rating course last? 


A: The typical initial type rating course will be between 8 to 12 days, depending on which curriculum you qualify for. We have shorter initial type ratings for pilots who already have time on type, or in jets, or the equivalent military experience.


2. How much time do I need to complete the Computer Based Training? 


A: Most pilots will complete the CBT in a month’s time; The CBT will be available for 90 days before it automatically expires from the day you receive your password.


3. What are the extras? 


A: Our courses have no hidden extras. You will have to budget for travel, accommodations, and food.


4. How do I book a course? 


A: Once we have agreed on a class date we ask that you pay a deposit to secure your booking. The balance of your course is payable prior to the commencement of class start date.


5. Do I need a simulator partner for a Type Rating?


A: Yes, simulator training is performed in crews of 2 pilots and our courses have a minimum of 2 students. If you don’t have a partner interested in the same course, we can try and arrange one for you.


6. Where are the simulators located? 


A: For the Boeing 737 NG type rating, we are teamed up with Alaska Airlines in Seattle for the use of their simulators. The Boeing 757/767 and A320 simulators are located in DFW and LAS.


7. Can I obtain the ATP with the type rating? 


A: Yes, if you bring the results of your ATP written with you, you will be able to obtain the ATP practical free with the type rating. Note: As of August 1, 2014, the rules governing eligibility for ATP knowledge tests will change. As of that date a candidate will have to complete an additional course known as the Airline Transport Pilot Certification Training Program or ATP CTP before being able to take the ATP AMEL knowledge test.


8. I am a foreign student licensed by a foreign authority and wish to obtain a FAA certificate in conjunction with a type rating. What steps do I nee...


A: First you will have to contact the FAA and authorize them to verify your foreign license, a process known as foreign license verification. The following link will take you to the appropriate section of the FAA website:


Ask the FAA to send a copy of the verification letter to the Scottsdale, Arizona FSDO.Our e-brochures will explain TSA and immigration (SEVIS) requirements and our office will help you set this up as well. You will then have to pass the appropriate knowledge test before joining one of our initial type rating curriculums.


See question 7 for additional information concerning ATP certification.


9. I have an AMEL Centerline Thrust restriction on my license. Will I be able to join a type rating course and will this limitation be removed? 


A: Yes, you can join our initial type rating courses. Your training will incorporate those additional elements required by the FAA in order to remove the limitation upon graduation, and at no extra cost.


10. I have an ATP Circle to Land VMC only limitation on my license. Will I be able to have this limitation removed with my type rating?


A: Yes, as the circle to land maneuver is part of the training and testing in the course. It is performed down to published minimums and at ATP/Airplane Type Rating standards.


11. I have a Circle to Land VMC only limitation on one or more aircraft types on my existing ATP or Commercial certificate. Will this limitation(s) b...


A: No, it is type specific.


12. I have a Commercial or ATP ASEL certificate. Can I join one of your initial type rating courses? 


 A: Yes, you can join our initial type rating courses. Your training will incorporate those additional elements required by the FAA in order to add the AMEL rating upon graduation, and at no extra cost.


13. Do I need a valid medical certificate in order to train and test for an initial type rating? 


A: No, a medical certificate is not a requirement for simulator only training and testing. However, you will obviously require a valid and current medical certificate in order to exercise the privileges of your license.


Note 1: foreign license holders wishing to obtain a FAA certificate based on their foreign license will have to have a valid and current foreign medical certificate.

14. Do I need a valid medical certificate in order to perform a proficiency check satisfying 14 CFR part 61, Section 61.58? 

A: No, if it is performed on a level C or D full flight simulator.

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube

K & S Aviation Services, Inc. 

15230 N. 75th Street #1010

Scottsdale, AZ 85260

(480) 398-1260

K & S Aviation Services, Inc. provides advanced flight training for pilots who fly, or seek to fly, for commercial airlines or cargo carriers and wish to forward their careers in commercial aviation. At K & S, you will receive high-quality flight training from professional airline pilots in state-of-the-art flight simulators following a proven curriculum. Our goal is to provide you with the skill and knowledge to achieve your flight training goals with complete satisfaction. 

Teamed up with Alaska Airlines for Boeing B-737 NG training under FAA part 142

Flight Operations Academy is a professional, FAA accredited Part 65 Aircraft Dispatcher Certification academy, devoted to personalized and high quality instruction for future Airline Dispatchers.”

© 2020 K&S Aviation Services Inc., All Rights Reserved